Law Enforcement Leadership Academy Command School
IN 2023. Command School will meet in Lawrence at the Lawrence Police Department Investigations and Training Center.
This program is geared toward current law enforcement commanders to prepare them for senior and executive-level roles. The program is open to sworn, command-level law enforcement leaders throughout Kansas who are tasked with significant management responsibilities.
The LELA Command School is a 300-hour, competency-based professional development program that blends classroom instruction with additional online coursework to deliver the concepts, tools, and practical resources needed for effective management.
LELA Command School graduates also earn the Certified Public Manager® (CPM) program national credential and join the ranks of close to 1,600 Kansas CPM graduates. Graduates have access to LELA and CPM alumni professional development opportunities.
- Enhancement of leadership and management knowledge
- Strengthening command-level performance with instructors and other participants who understand the Kansas law enforcement context
- Small cohort size, limited to approximately 25 students
Each LELA Command School graduate will:
- Network with law enforcement professionals, chief executives, subject matter experts and mentors from departments of all sizes, in city, county, state, and federal law enforcement and the public sector.
- Learn from excellent instructors and curriculum in core subject areas including leadership, succession planning, hiring and recruitment, community engagement, budgeting, strategic planning, project management, and professional communications.
- Design a capstone project to strengthen his/her department as well as underscore and cement the learning for the officer.
- Create a customized professional portfolio and individual management development plan to demonstrate newly acquired professional skills and collect samples of strategic plans, budgets, project plans, and other useful resources.
- Earn the Certified Public Manager (CPM) national credential accredited by the National Certified Public Manager® Consortium.
LELA Command School participants learn to:
- Develop strategic plans and succession plans
- Create a productive work culture
- Coach and mentor supervisors
- Build and manage an effective budget
- Create and execute project management plans
- Strengthen relations with the community
- Communicate more effectively
- Initial one-week segment at THE LAWRENCE POLICE DEPARTMENT INVESTIGATIONS AND TRAINING CENTER (Not KLETC)
- Then two consecutive days per month IN LAWRENCE, ending in November. Class meeting days will be posted in the fall.
- Sessions typically run from 8:00am - 4:00pm
The Program Location in 2023 has changed. It is not at KLETC in Hutchinson:
Lawrence Police Department Investigations and Training Center
4820 Bob Billings Parkway
Lawrence, KS 66047