Certificate in Public Engagement
Enhance Your Skills in Public Engagement and Communication
Elected officials, government staff, and technical consultants recognize that people in our communities want to be heard about issues that concern them. And we understand that more participative processes can lead to better decisions. Sounds like a win-win. Yet this understanding does not always result in constructive public engagement. Many issues in our communities are characterized by conflict because individuals bring vastly different perspectives on the role and reach of government. Our standard model for engagement - the public meeting - often simply highlights these conflicts and leaves everyone as frustrated as when they came in the door, if they come at all.
If you are struggling to make your public meetings more productive or want to move beyond the public meeting to engage with your community in more thoughtful ways, sign up for our Certificate in Public Engagement.
Our curriculum is designed for technical professionals, government managers, consultants, and others who seek productive, participative approaches to involve the public. Join us to:
- Enhance your understanding of the decision-making process in the public sector and how the public can effectively participate in that process.
- Gain tools and techniques to create and facilitate forums that productively engage participants.
- Learn from experienced leaders in public participation and communication who use hands-on activities and real world scenarios to link course content to practice.
With the right design, public engagement opportunities can bring out the best in people and offer an opportunity to work together on issues they care about. Move beyond the citizens-at-the-microphone model and learn to leverage citizen knowledge, ideas, and energy in new ways to address challenging problems. Expand your toolbox and start looking forward to public engagement.
Our Public Engagement Certificate consists of three two-day workshops:
- Workshop 1: The Context of Decision-Making in the Public Sector
- Workshop 2: Communicating Effectively in Public Settings
- Workshop 3: Effective Practices in Citizen Engagement
Public Management Center classes are highly interactive. We combine instructor expertise and content with opportunities to engage with the material and with other participants. We encourage individuals to bring their experiences with the topics into the conversation, allowing the entire group to learn from one another while working with the material. In this way we model the inclusive, supportive, and collaborative approach that we see as crucial to public engagement and to problem-solving in our workplaces and communities.
Concepts and Topics
- Workshop 1: The Context of Decision-Making in the Public Sector (Schedule & description here.)
- Workshop 2: Communicating Effectively in Public Settings (Schedule & description here.)
- Workshop 3: Effective Practices in Citizen Engagement (Schedule & description here.)