Certified Public Manager® Program
The Kansas Certified Public Manager® (CPM) program is a professional education opportunity for managers working in government agencies, nonprofits, and organizations that contract to provide public services and meet community needs. CPM is a nationally accredited management program and certification in which participants develop and strengthen their management skills through our competency based curriculum. The program can fill a training gap for staff with significant technical expertise who seek to further their knowledge of current management practices.
The Kansas Certified Public Manager program was established in 1993 and since that time close to 1,600 public managers from all across the state have completed certification. The CPM certificate is a nationally recognized emblem of management excellence.
Program Objectives and Format
The Kansas CPM program offers a blended learning approach of classroom hours, online learning, and outside assignments to meet 300 hours of structured learning. Along the way, you'll complete a capstone project focused on an opportunity for cost savings, revenue generation, process improvement, or innovation in your workplace. You'll meet in the classroom two days per month for one year, starting in January.
The Certified Public Manager program:
- Provides a foundation of knowledge and skills in management practices for managers at all levels in government and public-serving organizations.
- Offers opportunities for professional and personal growth for public-sector employees.
- Fosters effective management practices in government and nonprofit organizations.
Other Kansas CPM partners include:
- Kansas Association of Counties
- League of Kansas Municipalities
- Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)
What Supervisors Are Saying About Us
"We have sent 27 managers and department heads to CPM over the last 9 years. The knowledge they bring back and the projects they implement through their capstones have strengthened the performance of our entire organization."
Toby Dougherty, ICMA-CM, City Manager, City of Hays, KS
"I rate the quality of instructors, assignments, reading materials, interactive learning environments, and relevance of the CPM program an A+. I also give the CPM program an A+ for value to me as a professional and to my agency. I am proud to be a graduate."
"The instruction we received was applied so inspirationally that it became very personal. Each class was taught with an enormous amount of conviction and enthusiasm.
Past CPM participants
The Kansas Certified Public Manager® curriculum is designed to reflect the management skills and competencies needed to successfully manage projects, people, policies, and programs in today's public sector workplace.
The 2021 schedule for class dates and topics will be available in early December.
In 2021, the Kansas Certified Public Manager® program is being offered in Lawrence, the Wichita Area, and online.
You will enroll in a "home" location that you attend most of the time. However, we recognize that work responsibilities and vacation schedules may make attendance at the home location impossible for some meeting days. You are welcome to attend at one of the other locations when necessary to make up a class.
If you wish to apply for participation in the Kansas Certified Public Manager® (CPM) program, you should:
- Be selected by your employer.
- Have been a public employee for at least one year.
- Be a supervisor or manager. (Supervisors and managers will receive preference in the selection process over non-supervisory or non-managerial employees.)
- Apply >>
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your supervisor by email.
- Submit a one- to two-page letter of intent by email explaining why you wish to participate in the CPM program and demonstrating that you intend to participate fully and complete all program requirements.
- Information regarding the submission of letters will be included in the confirmation email you receive after applying.
- Questions? Email: email@example.com
Candidates will receive written notification regarding their admission into the Certified Public Manager® program once letters are received.
Please contact Cindy Jacobson, if you have questions about CPM.