If you wish to apply for participation in the Law Enforcement Leadership Academy: Command School, you should:
- Be selected by your employer.
- Have been a public employee for at least one year.
- Be a supervisor or manager. (Supervisors and managers will receive preference in the selection process over non-supervisory or non-managerial employees.)
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your supervisor.
- Submit a one- to two-page letter of intent explaining why you wish to participate in the LELA Command School and demonstrating that you intend to participate fully and complete all program requirements.
- Apply through our ENROLE system
- Please note that lodging and meals are options when registering for the course.
- Submit your electronic letter of recommendation and letter of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates will receive written notification regarding their admission into the LELA Command School after application materials are received.
To receive the early bird discount, your application should be received by December 1. We will accept applications until we have full enrollment. Note that space is limited so full enrollment could actually occur prior to the December 1 date. We encourage you to apply early.
- Course fee:
- $3,600 (Early bird discounted price, given for applications received or postmarked by December 1)
- $3,800 (Price after December 1)
- The fee covers tuition, materials, a mid-year conference, and end of the year graduation ceremony. Most commonly, agencies sponsor their employee's participation.
We understand that circumstances may arise that make you unable to attend an event/course for which you have registered. You may send someone else in your place*, but you must notify us of that change a minimum of three business days prior to the event/course. There is no fee for this substitution.
If sending someone else isn’t an option, you can cancel your registration up to two weeks prior to the event/course and your registration fee will be refunded, less a $25 per person administrative fee. If you cancel less than two weeks in advance of the event/course, you will be responsible for a $50 per person administrative fee. If you fail to cancel by the deadline and do not attend, you are still responsible for payment of the administrative fee.
We reserve the right to cancel the event/course and return fees in the event of insufficient registration. The liability of the University of Kansas is limited to the registration fee. The University of Kansas will not be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants, including but not limited to airline cancelation charges or hotel deposits.
*For Law Enforcement Leadership Academy, this substitute must be a sworn officer.
We accommodate persons with disabilities. Please call 785-864-6864 to discuss your needs at least two weeks before the start of the program if possible.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY.